Honestly, I’m running out of things to say about Gilbert Arenas. Luckily for me, there’s a global network of inter-connected computers that allows people from all over the world to share their opinions. Let’s see what some of them have to say.
- A number of NBA observers — including Mitch Lawrence of the New York Daily News — think Arenas should be permanently banned from the league. Gregg Doyel of CBSSports.com thinks that’s ludicrous, and I’m inclined to agree. By comparison, several NBA players have been involved in incidents with guns in the last few years — including Cleveland’s Delonte West, Indiana’s Stephen Jackson and the Clippers Sebastian Telfair — and the worst suspension any of them received was just seven games.
- Scott Soshnick of Bloomberg.com takes a look at the prevalence of high-stakes gambling among NBA players — including Michael Jordan — as a significant contributing factor in this incident, and takes the league to task for not stepping in.
- Michael McCann has a breakdown of all the legal issues Arenas is facing now — and the list is long.
- Lang Whitaker of SLAM thinks Arenas’ personality is a big part of his problem, saying, “there’s a difference in being a non-conformist and in being obstinate, and over the last week, Gilbert crossed that line.”
- Finally, one might say this new ad campaign is poorly timed… but let’s remember – this is an organization that seems to prefer controversy whenever possible. So maybe this is an ideal time for PETA to unveil Gilbert Arenas as their newest spokesmodel.